NYC dog resources > NYC animal welfare
NYC animal welfare:
(you can also view our nyc dog blog for discussions on animal welfare)
We believe there are five keys to improving the lives of animals in nyc and on a global scale too.
1. The first and most effective way to combat over
population in large cities is spay and neutering
programs. View sites like
Bide-A-Wee for information and Muffins Pet Connection for low cost NYC spay and neuter locations.
2. We all need to be more educated on both the actual state of nyc animal welfare and how to positively affect it. The ASPCA is always a good reference for animal welfare in your area. You can also try the Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals for all types of resources. A website that is not particular to the New York area but has a large resource of animal welfare related links is AnimalConcerns.org.
3. There needs to be new and or updated animal rights
legislation. A wonderful site for animal rights law is the
Animal Legal Defense Fund. A New York City resource
for animal laws is
the Humane Society of New York. For an extensive, state-by-state, collection of animal laws try The Institute for Animal Law.
4. A vegetarian diet can have a positive impact on your health and on the state of animal welfare in general. More and more people are adopting the vegetarian lifestyle and the food industry is starting to hear their calls with better tasting meat alternatives. You can check out PETA'S new vegetarian site GoVeg.com. This page describes the benefits to a vegetarian diet, titled "49 Reasons why I am a vegetarian".
5. Get the word out that having an animal in your life makes you happier and healthier. It's a proven fact! Check out an interesting article on the physical and social benefits of having a pet.
If you find it hard to think about life
without your pet, imagine your pet's life
without you. The mission of
2nd Chance 4 Pets is to reduce the number of pets unnecessarily euthanized each year due to the death or incapacity of their human companions who care for them. Ensure lifetime care for your pets.
If you need more reasons to get interested in animal welfare take a look at un-American about animals. There is a common thought by many that America is leading the way in regards to animal welfare but too often we are actually lagging behind in both thought and action!